Jun 22, 2010

Fathers Day and Fish!

For Father's Day this year I went down to my folks house by myself, DH had to finish a work project & couldn't come. Early this summer my dad had completely re-done their fish pond. (Last year the pump went out, the waterfall had lost many of its stones & the irises had taken over. They lost all of their fish when the pump died. ) He put so much work into it it looked brand new! When I saw it I knew right away what I was getting him for Father's day! Fisheeeees!

When I got there, Mom and I went to the store to get them, we didn't tell him yet what we we were getting. I knew he loved his Shubunkins from the pond at their old house, which BTW my Dad & I built(the pond, not the house), so that was what I wanted to get. I personally love Koi, so when I saw that they had some that were very reasonably priced, we got one of them too. All told we picked out 3 Shubunkins and one Koi. Dad loved them, he was so tickled. He said he would have never have thought to ask for them but thought that was the best idea.

I love to make my dad happy!

I didn't remember to take a picture of his card for some reason. I recently learned how to use distress inks from Tim Holtz, so I had made some great background paper in blues and orange-ish browns. I can show you the card I made for my FIL though:I distressed the Dad and cream cardstock using Tim Holtz's method. The black cardstock and patterned paper came from DCWV. That cream cardstock was almost a buttercream yellow before I distressed it, not the right color at all. The distressing made it the perfect color!

I also made a birthday card for one of my niece's:


Isn't that blow-fish the cutest! He was a $1 Snag-em stamp from Imaginisce's Splash Dance line. I colored it with copic markers and used Glossy Accents from Ranger on his eyes. The water paper is from DCWV and the letter brads I found on clearance at Joann's. It says "Happy birthday to you!" inside in aqua ink. I didn't have the right color green paper so, once again, I used Tim Holtz's method to color my white cardstock green! I like the way it gives it a mottled appearance as opposed to a solid color.

I hope all the wonderful Dads out there had a great Father's day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment